Landlords F.A.Q’s

Home » About » Landlords F.A.Q’s

What type of agreements do you use?

In the majority of cases the agreement used is an  Assured Shorthold Tenancy.  The term will be fixed and will depend upon the length of tenancy that you as the Landlord require.  Typically tenancies are for 12 months and can include a break clause if preferred. Whilst allowing the tenants to have property they regard as a home, our Tenancy Agreements place obligations on them to ensure that you as a Landlord can be confident your property will be returned in good condition.

How will the rent be paid?

A standing order is set up from the Tenant’s bank account  (unless you choose our Find a tenant only service ) and the rent will be paid into the company bank accounts, processed and is paid via bank transfer into the landlords bank account  A statement of account will be emailed (or sent to you) every month.

Who holds the damage deposit?

Portfolio Properties are members of the National Approved Lettings Scheme and the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). All deposits are held in accordance with the TDS regulations. For further information about the Tenancy Deposit scheme please click here

Is it better to let a property furnished or unfurnished?

There is no difference in rental values between furnished and unfurnished lettings, however we can advise you that there is a stronger market for unfurnished accommodation.  If you do wish to let a property furnished then you are legally required to ensure that your furniture complies with Fire and Safety Regulations.  We would be able to advise you on this.

Is it necessary to have an inventory?

Yes, regardless of whether the property is furnished or unfurnished it is necessary to have an inventory and Schedule of   Condition. This forms part of the contract and without an inventory a deposit cannot be retained.

Who is responsible for maintaining the garden?

The maintenance of the garden is usually the responsibility of the Tenant with the exception of maintaining trees and shrubs, which is down to the landlord.  It is the Landlords responsibility to provide a lawnmower and basic tools for maintaining the garden even if the property is unfurnished.

What is a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate?

If a property is being let, the Landlord is legally required to have the gas supply and all gas appliances (whether portable or fixed) checked by a Gas Safe approved Engineer and issued with a Landlords Gas Safety certificate. This will need to be done prior to letting your property and annually thereafter. We can organise these on behalf of the landlord under our full management service.

Are there any regulations regarding electrics in the property?

You are required to ensure that the electrics in the property are safe and any small appliances left are   Portable Appliance Tested (PAT).

Am I required to have smoke alarms fitted in the property?

Smoke alarms have to be installed in any new building or conversion and there need to be at least one alarm per floor of your property.

Who is responsible for repairs if something breaks down?

As a Landlord you are responsible the structure of the building, the upkeep of the appliances you have supplied and the systems for hotwater and heating. It is the tenants responsibility to inform Portfolio Properties (if the property is being managed through us) as quickly as possible in the event of a problem or a breakdown. We do have a team of approved contractors who work for Portfolio but we will always contact the Landlord first before sending in a contractor.

What else must I do before letting my property?

You will need to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate. Portfolio Properties can organise to have this done for you before you start to market your property to let. You will also need to inform your insurance company that you are letting out your property so that the necessary amendments to your policy can be made.

How do I go about getting my property back?

All our tenancy agreements are for a fixed term period. We will contact you 8 weeks prior to the end of the tenancy to take your instruction as to whether you wish to continue with the existing let, remarket the property (if the tenants wish to leave), or regain possession of your property. If you want to end the tenancy we will serve the relevant notices and write to the tenants on your behalf.

Got more questions?

Get in touch with us on 01865 242 634 or visit our contact page for more information.

Get in Touch

Get in Touch